home tips speaking resources about contact

Monday, August 22, 2011

Back-to-school tips

As of last Monday I have children in elementary school, high school and college. We've been going back to school for many years.  So I thought it would be good to share some of the back-to-school tips that have helped keep our family organized and sane as we shift schedules drastically from the relaxed summer months.

Here are a few of the habits I've developed over the years:

1)  Establish a place for each child's classroom informational paperwork.  I use a VERY low tech system to keep track of class lists, syllabus's, classroom rules and welcome letters: an inexpensive solid-color pocket folder.  Each child has a different color, and their name written in permanent marker.   I store these folders in one drawer in the kitchen, for easy retrieval.

2)  Establish guidelines for what you will keep throughout the year.  When my children were small, I decided I would only save those papers that showed my child's unique personality or skills.  So the cotton ball bunny was NOT saved.  But Joshua's self-portrait (a rainbow) was.  What criteria will you set?  And where will you put those papers and art work?

3)  Use the weekend to plan breakfasts,lunches and snacks for the week.  In the past, I've made a list of options for all of the above and put it on the refrigerator.  That helps avoid the complaining about nothing to eat. 

4)  Pack bags at night, and put by the front door.

5)  Pick out clothes for the week, and put in a hanging organizer.

6)  Read everything the teacher sends home, and transfer important dates and information to your calendar.  Those letters really do have important information in them. 

I hope this helps.  I'd love to hear your favorite organizing tips for going back to school. 

Grace & Peace,

Glynnis

1 comment:

  1. I have a list of all our breakfast and lunch options in a page protector and each Sunday night the kids mark what they are going to eat each day. This way they don't have to think about it in the morning and I know if I am going to need to help with something...like transferring hot pasta to the thermos. Love the tip on having criteria for saving work. That is one of my biggest problem areas. I've saved every art project since day one! Time to go through it all with this idea in mind.

    ReplyDelete