home tips speaking resources about contact

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

How to handle a day of interruptions

Yesterday I was musing about time.  It was a day of interruptions, lost items, appointments, taxi service and sibling conflicts, and by the end of it I was frustrated to say the least.    Everyone went to bed at 9 p.m., including my 17-year-old.  I was that worn out.

Most of what I did was not wasted time.  It was part of my role as mother of five children. 

But there was time I wasted.  Partly because I couldn't get into a groove.  Partly because I was emotionally wrung out.  Partly because it was 107 degrees here yesterday and I was hot and cranky. 

But mostly because I didn't have a plan for a day like that.  What I should have done was anticipated the busyness and made a list of small tasks I could have done in my breaks.  Quick phone calls.  A bill to pay.  Coupons to clip.  Folding one load of laundry. Balancing my check book.  These are small tasks I can do in less than 15 minutes. 

My to-do list has been revised for this week to include ongoing projects and quick tasks.  Instead of assuming I'll remember those little tasks of life, they are captured on my list.

Now when I've got 15 minutes to spare, I won't waste it wondering what to do, or sit down and turn on the TV because I can't think.   I've got my list already made up.

How do you get work done on a day of interruptions?

In His Love,

Glynnis

1 comment:

  1. I'm so unorganized in so many things. I'm really trying to get better in planning meals so I love this post! I follow your other blog but forget about this one because I suffer from "out of sight out of mind" syndrome. :) is there a way to subscribe to receive this blog in my email?

    ReplyDelete