home tips speaking resources about contact

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Do I live in a house of crumbs??!!??

I seem to be in an ongoing battle against crumbs.  They are everywhere.  My kitchen table.  Counter tops.  Coffee table. And even under the dogs' food bowl. 

Last week I noticed something interesting in my daily battle.  After breakfast, I cleaned up some crumbs in one area of the counter.  That was all I saw.  But as the morning progressed, and the sun changed positions, the light revealed crumbs in another section.  Grabbing the rag, I wiped those away too.  By noon, the sun showed even more crumbs in different spots.

Crumbs covered my counter from the start.  If I had taken a few moments to clean the entire counter, I wouldn't have had to go back repeatedly to finish the job right. 

It got me thinking about how I often I stop short of doing something right the first time.  Usually, I explain it away thinking I'll go back later and finish it.  Which means I end up wasting time.

My time saving tip for today is do it right and complete the first time. 

Clean the entire counter.
Sweep under the table.
Call everyone on the list.
Wash every pot and pan.
Iron everything in the basket.
Finish balancing your checkbook.
Go through every closet before donating outgrown clothes.

Of course, sometimes you only have time to complete part of the job.  I'm not talking about those times.  I'm talking about the times when you can finish something and you don't. Every time we push through to the end, we are training ourselves for excellence. 

I'll end with some quotes:

It takes less time to do a thing right, than it does to explain why you did it wrong. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.  Aristotle

Grace & Peace,

Glynnis

3 comments:

  1. Good word! It is not as much as crumbs in our house as it is dust! Winter months cause more dust to grow and then the sun comes out and you want to go play outside but first you see all the dust that the grey clouds were hiding. The sun becomes a spotlight to all the dust that has grown and the cobwebs that have developed on the high ceiling and the ceiling fans.

    So, today it is a snowy cloudy day. I am going to dust.. so that when the sun comes out I can go play!

    blessings & giggles
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to say that I love this blog! I am an organize freak and I love reading your posts. I have even been inspired to add a few things to my "arsenal" of organization and function. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!! I see crumbs scattered and glistening in the sunshine every day as my 7 children walk about the kitchen each morning. I too sweep...wipe... numerous times but each time am thankful for those that have created those crumbs!! =)

    ReplyDelete