home tips speaking resources about contact

Monday, October 11, 2010

My Monday Menu

This week, bone-in country ribs are on sale.  When I see that, I know I'm taking a trip to North Carolina (figuratively) for a pulled pork and cole slaw dinner.

My family lived in North Carolina for two years.  Although I didn't want to move, and was a bitter woman for the first few months, God quickly revealed the reason for the move.  Seems, it wasn't for my husband's job, it was for me.  My heart needed an overhaul.  In the process, I met my best friends (the gals at P31) and learned to LOVE the south ... especially the history and food. 

We moved in August, and in November, my mom came to visit us.  Together we went to the Southern Christmas Show.  At lunch, there was one food counter selling pulled pork sandwiches.  I'd never had one, but since it was about the only option, we both got a sandwich plate.  We sat down next to some ladies who put the cole slaw on their sandwiches.  I proceed to ask the dumbest question ever:

Does it taste good like that?

Duh!  What were they going to say?  No, we hate it like this!

Anyway, Mom and I copied our new Southern friends, and devoured our sandwiches.  I've never looked back.  I make it in a crock-pot and it's a ridiculously easy meal.

Here's what we are having this week:

Menu 1      Pulled Pork Sandwiches      (I use country-style bone-in ribs, and put in a crock-pot all day.  I'll probably buy about 8 pounds and will only add a 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce in the morning.  In the evening, I'll shred the pork, discarding bones and fat, and add more sauce to taste. 
                Cole Slaw & Hush puppies

Menu 2  Mediterranean Chicken Salad   (using grilled chicken seasoned with Greek seasoning, cucumber, red onion, tomatoes, feta cheese and Italian dressing)
             Cheese toast  (French bread slices with butter, garlic and Parmesan cheese toasted)

Cornish Pasties
Menu 3   Turkey bagel sandwiches   (using deli turkey meat, vegetable cream cheese and loads of lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers
               Vegetable Soup

Menu 4    Cornish Pasties  
               Green salad

Menu 5  Rachael Ray's Sloppy Lasagna (note:  I don't cook with alcohol and will substitute beef stock.  I haven't made this before, but I don't think I'm going to use 2 pounds of lasagna noodles either.)


Menu 6   Weight Watcher's Pork Lo Mein  (to make up for the lasagna)
              Sauteed mixed vegetables


Hope your family is enjoying some cooler weather. 

Happy cooking!

Grace & Peace,
Glynnis

5 comments:

  1. I sure do wish we were neighbors. I would invite myself over for dinner all the time! :o)
    I am getting ready to make my meal plan and will be adding these to the menu. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly question! When I put the ribs in the crock pot in the morning and add 1/2 cup of bbq sauce, do I add water? Do I add water later on? Thank you! I am not much of a cook but have been really trying. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not a silly question about adding water. Actually, I don't because the ribs have so much fat and natural juices that very quickly the ribs are cooking with lots of moisture. Which is why I don't waste all the BBQ sauce in the beginning. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Glynnis! I have since been online looking for good coleslaw recipes! I have not ever eaten this like this before but my family is about to give it a try! If it isn't too much of a bother, do you have a favorite coleslaw recipe? Thanks!

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tasha - I love KFC's cole slaw, so I searched for a copy cat recipe and found this:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/kfc-coleslaw-33489

    Copy the link and put it in your brower.
    If the link doesn't work just do a Google search for KFC Cole Slaw recipe. It takes a few more ingredients, but it's really good.

    My simple recipe at home is mayo, milk, sugar, lemon juice and a dash of salt. I'm sorry I've never measured, but I just keep tasting til I like it.

    ReplyDelete